Friday, August 22, 2008

Nothing Really Happened - Us Magazine, The News International

Once upon a time, three weeks ago in a land not so far away, a new day had just dawned with the sun smiling much above the horizon. A cool, handsome and yes, single guy was ready to leave his home for a very educational journey, that is, towards his university. The guy happened to be me and did I mention single? Yes I did. Well, as I left home, I began to walk towards the bus stop which is about 600 meters away from my house. I always walk on the wrong side of the road so that I can see the traffic coming towards me rather than passing me by. As I approached the bus stop a sudden noise, like some heavy metal being dragged against the ground caught my attention. A guy, not-so-young and definitely not better looking than I am, was also about to start his day as he had opened his bungalow's main gate to take out his car. I looked with envy at the huge house which had a driveway that could accommodate eight cars at a time and that, too, parked in a line. The guy began walking towards his car which was parked at the end of the driveway. After I had fully invaded the privacy of the house by scanning it inside out, I turned my face towards the main road and paused immediately as my eyes caught a view that I can never forget. No, it was not a beautiful girl standing in front of me, I wasn't so lucky that day!

Two guys, who had come from the wrong side on their bike, overtook me from my left and stopped in front of me. One of the guys, who, I think was definitely better looking than me, almost jumped at me from the bike. As I saw this, I immediately knew what to do next as it was that time of the year again! My cell phone was about to be snatched!

After that I was not able to think what was going to happen and the only thing which came to my mind was a nice good bye which I was going to offer to my beloved cell phone which could go like this:

Oh my love

Though we have come a long way

Now the time has arrived for you to depart

To the world hereafter

A beautiful world filled with

Guns, bullets and lots of blocked SIMs

But wait: there was an easy way out, yes my friends, a way out.

The guys shouted, "Come here, beta, sharafat se," and I ran as fast as I could. It didn't even bother me that they had a gun. Aakhir goli, goli pe likha hota hai khanay walay ka naam, and luckily, that goli was not meant for me. But where could I run? Yes, you are a genius if you have guessed it. I ran into the house with the car porch, which, I love to repeat, could hold eight cars at a time. As I was literally running inside the house on the driveway I heard the noise of that bike speeding away and passing by the house. Yes the biker boys fled! Haahaa! The pair of losers couldn't even snatch a mobile phone!

I made it to the middle of the driveway, while the not-so-young man, who was about to leave for somewhere, had started his car's engines. He adjusted his rear view mirror and looked at me through it. I got confused not knowing what to do, as it was a very awkward situation. The guy just ignored me and moved on. I came out of the house and tried catching his attention. Finally we established eye contact. He looked into my eyes and I looked into his and we both paused for a minute… Okay people, this is going somewhere else... Then he left.

After this particular incident I got depressed. No, I became sad, not because I couldn't even thank him, but because no politics was involved in this incident!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol you have a very nice writing style though there was nothing special in the incident but the way you wrote it definitely made me drop this comment. keep writing:)